Leverett Butts - Musings of a Bored English Teacher

Occasional web log from Southern writer Leverett Butts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Temple, Georgia, United States

English Professor in Georgia. Writer of Southern lit

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

In answer to my question about the fate of Halloween yesterday, I learned that the city decided to move Halloween to Thursday night instead of Friday (which explains why I kept hearing knocks on my front door all night. Nobody ever uses my front door, so I figured my hearing was just fucked).

Why did the city elders decide to screw around with Halloween? Was it an attempt to through off the forces darkness slowly massing for our assured destruction?

No.

Was it a nod to our Hebrew brethren who celebrate the Sabbath beginning at sundown Friday?

No.

Perhaps, they feared for the children's safety walking around in dark costumes on a night when teenagers traditionally acquire illicit alcoholic beverages and take to the roads to exhibit feats of derring-do?

Not hardly.

No, the town's best and brightest decided to reshuffle All Hallow's Eve because the local high school had a big football game and our calendar coldly and cruelly conflicted with it.

In related news, Thanksgiving in our town is being moved to Wednesday so as not to conflict with NBC's Must See TV line-up.