Leverett Butts - Musings of a Bored English Teacher

Occasional web log from Southern writer Leverett Butts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Temple, Georgia, United States

English Professor in Georgia. Writer of Southern lit

Friday, December 19, 2003

Since I'm out of the office for a few weeks and I won't be pampered by the high-speed connection, I'm afraid my entries may be sparse between now and the new year. In fact I'll be opening the writing duties up to you, my audience. Send me any little weird, amusing, or otherwise interesting internet story/anecdote, and I'll post some of them when I'm on the net over the holidays.

Today's entry comes from one of my oldest friends, Rob Davis. I don't know if it's true or not, but I never let honesty get in the way of a good story:


An old man lived alone in Idaho. He wanted to spade his potato
garden, but it was very hard work. His only son, Bubba, who used to help
him, was in prison for murder. The old man wrote a letter to his son
and described his predicament:

Dear Bubba,

I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to
plant my potato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be
digging up a garden plot. If you were here, all my troubles would be over. I
know you would dig the plot for me.

Love, Dad

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

For heaven's sake, dad, don't dig up that garden, that's where I
buried the BODIES.

Love, Bubba

At 4:00 AM the next morning, F.B.I. agents and local police
showed up and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They
apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the man received another letter:

Dear Dad,

Go ahead and plant the potatoes now. That's the best I could do
under the circumstances.

Love, Bubba