Leverett Butts - Musings of a Bored English Teacher

Occasional web log from Southern writer Leverett Butts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Temple, Georgia, United States

English Professor in Georgia. Writer of Southern lit

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I'd just like to say that I haven't written anything recently because I've been diligently working on my new story (resolution number 10, for those of you keeping score at home). I'd like to say, further, that the story is rocking right along.

My detective, in true hardboiled style has gotten himself beaten to a pulp and found himself enmeshed in nebulous plotting on the part of the ambiguously insidious forces that run things from behind the scenes. He has further begun to believe that these forces may in fact be, or at least represent, the powerful eldritch gods banished from this plane of existence when the world was young in order to make room for mankind. He suspects that these forces are trying diligently to return to this plane and retake the sceptre of dominion over the world, using men as their unwilling thralls.

He realizes this, in part, because he has just awoken to find himself bound spread-eagled upon an ancient black altar on an island just off the coast of Innsmouth, Rhode Island, while misshapen priests in black circle him counter-clockwise chanting for the great god Cthullhu's ascendancy.

I'd love to tell you this. I really would, but the the truth is my story has gotten no further than "He looked like a fish to me, all bulging eyes oily skin floundering on my office rug." And I haven't written in so long because, quite simply, I'm a lazy, lazy man.